Brighton racecourse has stood in its current location, on Whitehawk Hill, a mile or so inland from the English Channel on the South Downs in East Sussex, since 1822. The modern racecourse is idiosyncratic, insofar that it is characterised by pronounced undulations and a noticeable camber towards the inside rail from the home turn, which can lead to bunching, especially among inexperienced horses. In addition, the winning post is the highest point on the course, with an uphill climb throughout the final quarter of a mile.
Nevertheless, one of the most unusual features of Brighton, when compared with other modern British racecourses, is that it is not a complete circuit. Historically, the racecourse extended an additional half a mile, towards Roedean Village on the outskirts of Brighton, to create a complete circuit two miles in length. Nowadays, the racing surface is restricted to a left-handed horseshoe, just under twelve furlongs in length, so the longest race run at Brighton is 1 mile, 3 furlongs and 196 yards, or just shy of a mile and a half.